The Politics and Communications Department provides strategic campaign, lobbying, electoral, and communications support to all departments at CASA and CASA in Action.
The Advocacy Specialist will foster external relationships under the supervision and in direct coordination with the Pennsylvania State Director. Candidates should have a strong interest in advocacy and community development, place-based and people-based strategies, economic development, transportation, community growth or related areas.
This position is contingent upon available funding.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, some of the following which are discussed and prioritized by the employee and supervisor, and reflected in individual and program annual work plans:
Relationship Building and Strengthening:
• Identify, develop, maintain and strengthen relationship with local, state, and federal governmental agencies.
• Identify, develop, maintain and strengthen organizational relationships. Maintain, build and strengthen various coalitions.
• Maintain and expand various coalitions.
• Organize key coalition meetings by developing agendas, taking notes, and coordinating appropriate follow up. Represent CASA in various coalitions, on boards, and with various allies.
• Organize Database tracking of partner organizations and maintain information updated; migrating former organizational systems into the new system
• Prepare background information on organizations and key agencies and government officials to aid in coalition work; including monitoring of press, public hearings, etc.
• Assist with advocacy related duties such as drafting letters, coordinating local engagement activities, preparing petitions, assisting with coalition activities, etc.
• Draft legislation, amendments, fact sheets, member profiles, and research reports on agenda priorities. Remain current on related advances in other regions.
• Support full-team projects, including interdepartmental projects, by providing support for outreach, legislative, advocacy and communication activities.
• Represent project as needed at meetings, funder briefings, etc.
• Prepare weekly reports
• Meet deadlines established by supervisor and in Department and individual work plan.
• Participate actively in the annual planning process, including developing and executing individual work plans, evaluating and providing feedback on plans as the year progresses
• Think creatively about ways to improve further his/her specific job and the organizations.
• The work will be assigned to the specific areas of the specified counties according to the work plan
• Aid in collection of needed data for performance measures and evaluation framework. (Program evaluation vs. strategic planning evaluation)
And other duties assigned by supervisor related to position.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Politics or Communications, preferred
• Valid US Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle
• Ability to perform all of the duties outlined above.
• Deep commitment to social change and to growing CASA de Maryland and CASA in Action as membership organizations in which members have decision-making authority.
• Two (2) or more year’s advocacy and lobbying experience
• Two (2) or more year’s experience creating partnerships and coalitions
• Excellent oral and writing skills.
• Strong interpersonal communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills. Ability to connect with a wide variety of administrative, organizational, and grassroots leaders.
• Outgoing and highly charismatic personality a must.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Highly organized and able to manage multiple ongoing projects. Position requires strong attention to detail and relentless follow-up.
• Skills with Microsoft Office programs including MS Word, Excel, Power Point and desktop publishing software.
• Ability to hold privileged information in a professional and confidential manner.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends. Early morning, late evening, and weekend hours are common.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish, French is a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
An Advocacy Specialist is not to handle any human body fluids, biological agents, laboratory chemicals, or be exposed to hazardous materials such as noise, asbestos, or carcinogens.
This is a union position, represented in collective bargaining by a Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Communication Workers of America, Local WBNG 32035 - Communication Workers of America (CWA). If you are offered and accept this position, you will be invited to become a member of the union. All bargaining unit positions require membership or agency fee payer status.
CASA de Maryland, Inc. and CASA in Action do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, marital status and national origin.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.