District Magistrate Office - District Court Clerk
- Position Summary
Responsible for imparting Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts policies and procedures at the District Court level to the public sector in areas of criminal, civil, motor vehicle matters and Pennsylvania Supreme Court rules.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Exercise responsible independent judgment in monitoring and tracking computer printouts, accurately recording and issuing warrants, subpoenas, hearing notices, continuances, summary convictions, suspension orders, court-ordered payment agreements and other documents. Ability to recognize possible errors in complaint form/citations, etc.; bringing to attention of the Office Manager.
- Receive payments, issue and maintain proper records of all receipts by computer entry. Balance daily money receipts for bank deposits.
- Bookkeeping duties including processing monthly reports, disbursing monies to State, County and Municipal offices; disbursement of restitution and refunds; issue payments to constables, etc.
- Coordinate and schedule arraignments, preliminary hearings and trials involving the District Judge, police departments, the District Attorney, the Public Defender, private attorneys and all others involved in a case. Prepare and issue required documents to assure attendance of all parties.
- Understanding of and ability to apply Pennsylvania Crimes Code, Vehicle Code, Civil Procedures, Criminal Procedures, Landlord/Tenant Act as required.
- Process incoming and outgoing Duty District Justice office work.
- Interact, correspond and communicate effectively and professionally with the public and various other agencies to include: AOPC, police departments, municipal offices, prisons, emergency centers, attorneys' offices, District Attorney's Office, Public Defender's Office, Clerk of Courts, Prothonotary, Sheriff's Office, Court Administrator's Office, other County offices, Adult and Juvenile Probation, PennDOT, bail bondsmen and media.
- Resolution of problems involving the public or other agencies.
- Miscellaneous other duties such as: requisition and pick up supplies, postage machine inspection, pick up paychecks from Court Administration office; other necessary errands as assigned.
- Prepare old cases for archives and destruction.
- All other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Essential Requirements
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver's License.
- Clear criminal background investigation.
- Proficiency in typing or word processing, computer, data entry.
- Working knowledge, performance and operation of office equipment, including an in-depth working knowledge of the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts (AOPC) computer system and ability to troubleshoot same.
- Organizational skill; attention to detail; accurate records maintenance.
- Communication and inter-personal skills to effectually interact with co-workers and public in a cordial and professional manner.
- Recognition that this position requires efficiency, reliability, flexibility, confidentiality, honesty, loyalty and dedication to all tasks at hand and to the integrity of the Magisterial District Judge and court system.
- Must adhere to Court and/or County policies and procedures.
- Supplemental Information
**PLEASE NOTE THE COUNTY HAS 19 DISTRICT JUSTICE OFFICES**
This posting is to cover all 19 offices. If you would like specific information on the hours and where the current vacancies are, please contact Court Administration at (717) 771-9234.
Non-Civil Service Position.
Apply online at www.yorkcountypa.gov.