The Assistant County Solicitor is responsible to provide assistance to the County Solicitor in handling the day-to-day legal needs of County government operations, including the Commissioners, all County departments, boards and authorities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, legal research, rendering legal advice, providing representation before state and federal courts, as well as governmental agencies, drafting and negotiating legal documents, instruments, and ordinances, and developing and implementing policies and procedures and assisting all government departments with contract review and approval.
- Represent the County and its employees in federal and state litigation, as well before governmental agencies, in additional to delegate, manage and coordinate outside counsel representing the County and its employees in various litigation matters.
- Conduct depositions, trials and appeal of proceedings in State and Federal courts, handle violations of municipal ordinances and collection of debt, condemnation and eminent domain, torts and other civil proceedings.
- Handle litigation cases from the filing of a complaint and conducting a jury trial to the appellate process and negotiate settlements.
- Provide legal support to the Solicitor and in the absence of the Solicitor, provide advice to the County Commissioners, all County departments, York County Prison Board of Inspectors, York County Retirement Board, York County Salary Board, York County Board of Elections, various County authorities, and the York County Planning Commission.
- Perform legal research on issues, prepare legal memorandum and correspondence at the direction of the Solicitor.
- Maintain and develop expertise about laws, regulations and court decisions affecting municipal legal issues.
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts, agreements and memorandum of understandings, as well as other legal documents.
- Draft and review resolutions, policies and ordinances.
- Reviews rules, policies, plans and forms prepared by other County departments for compliance with applicable laws.
- Receive and process all in forma pauperis (IFP) petitions, as well as representation of the County before the Court of Common Pleas regarding the appropriateness of such relief.
- Process and litigate collection matters for all County departments.
- Maintain records by manual and automated methods and prepare accurate reports and correspondence.
- Attend Commissioners’ meetings and other County departmental meetings, as well as various board meetings in the absence of the Solicitor.
- May be required to work holidays, weekends and outside normal business hours.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by Commissioners.
- Must possess a Juris Doctorate Degree, an active Pennsylvania license and a minimum of five (5) years legal experience.
- Must have extensive knowledge of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania laws and codes as they affect municipal government as well courtroom litigation in Municipal, State and Federal Courts.
- Must also have knowledge of State and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the Pennsylvania County Code, the York County Code and the Rules of Evidence.
- Civil litigation, municipal law, contract law and employment law background a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with HIPAA regulations and the Right-to-Know-Law preferred.
- Must possess proficient research abilities.
- Must be able to read and interpret County and departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Must be an effective communicator, both orally and written.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with department personnel, government agencies/personnel, clients, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
- Must possess the ability and willingness to work harmoniously with professionals and non-professionals.
- Must have patience, tact, and a professional manner when conducting business.
- Must be available to attend meetings and conferences in the absence of the Solicitor.
- Must be able to complete tasks independently.
Please see benefits tab for additional information.
- Website www.yorkcountypa.gov
- Human Resources 717-771-9099
Error: There is no connected account for the user 2898015464 Feed will not update.