Veterans Service Officer
The Veterans Service Officer (VSO) position supports York County’s veterans outreach programs. The position develops claims and applications for benefits and coordinates local resources in order to improve the quality of life for veterans and surviving family members. The position is differentiated from those of other departments by the accreditation required and the knowledge of medical conditions, veterans law and veterans benefits. It is an outreach position and requires travel throughout York County. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director of Veterans Affairs.
- Obtain accreditation within 120 days of employment through extensive training, study of veteran law and VA processes. Pass federal screening requirements for access to federal portals
- Develop and process applications for veteran benefits.
- Identify deceased veterans and connect with surviving family; assist in maximizing available benefits.
- Provide means for obtaining military personnel and medical records and discharge documents.
- Provide assistance in obtaining private medical records to support claim development
- Maintain case management files for seamless use by other service officers and support staff
- Communicate benefits available to veterans and surviving family members from other public and private sources and connect them with those sources
- Liaison with local service organizations, charities, non-profit organizations and the YORKVETNETWORK
- Respond to veterans requests for information
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Up to 50% local travel. Out of town travel for required training/accreditation. Occasional evening and Saturday hours to support working veterans.
- Required participation in York County’s Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day events.
- Veteran status
- Possess an advocate’s spirit with the ability to solve complex cases for clients within the scope of existing veterans law
- Three years experience in case management work or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience
- Possess critical writing skills to develop and support the prosecution of written claims and appeals
- General knowledge of physical and mental medical diagnostic criteria
- Case management, conceptualization and problem solving skills
- Comfortable with highly personal mental, physical, social and occupational information of clients
- Ability to quickly connect to and establish the trust of veterans and surviving spouses
- Travel and work independently and seamlessly, using portable computers, office equipment, wifi and government portals. Travel throughout York County, the state of Pennsylvania and to national training sites in Washington DC and Indianapolis, IN.
- Familiarity with county demographics and factors affecting veterans in York County
- Knowledge of functions, organization and operations commonly found in military, governmental, community and social service agencies. Possess knowledge of county, state and federal veterans programs, policy and regulations.
- Exhibit patience, tact, and a professional manner and appearance when conducting business.
To be qualified for this position you must have military background.
- $16.63 Hourly
- Website www.yorkcountypa.gov
- Human Resources 717-771-9214
Length for Job Posting:
- [30 days]
Error: There is no connected account for the user 2898015464 Feed will not update.