Deputy Director of Support Services
The Deputy Director of Support Services (DDSS) is responsible for the management and operations of all technology and supporting systems utilized in the efficient day-to-day operation of the 911 Communication Center. The individual manages a total staff of 13 personnel through four (4) direct-report functional managers who oversee the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), GIS, mobile computing, paging, telephone and recording systems for the Center. This position also works closely with the County Information Services department to coordinate a service delivery model that ensures a cohesive approach that supports dispatch operations are at optimal performance. The work for this position involves multiple priorities, complex and numerous tasks and deadlines. This position requires a high level of responsibility, flexibility, attention to details, the ability to work under pressure and the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality in a 24/7 operation.
- Provides the direct managerial oversite of all the technology and facility systems that support the efficient functioning of the Communications Center.
- Identifies issues and solutions for improvements to the systems and operations of the Center and communicates same to the Director and management team.
- Direct management of assigned 911 personnel who support CAD, GIS, Mobile Data Communication (MDC), Radio and Paging systems and telephone/recording systems.
- Ensures integrity of the Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, including but not limited to hardware, software applications/updates and secondary interfaces.
- Works with the GIS Administrator to ensure seamless integration of state-level efforts to implement Next Gen 911 9-1-1 networks and programs.
- Recognizes new issues, technologies and potential challenges to the operations and systems utilized by the Center and leads efforts to identify and implement appropriate actions to deal with these.
- Plans, develops and assists with acquisition, installation and implementation of multiple technologies and systems, and effectively coordinates with internal and external resources to accomplish these activities.
- Oversees formulation and recommendation of long and short-term plans and strategies and guides their successful implementation.
- Reviews and recommends new or useful vendor or third party hardware and software. Obtains quotes and ensures proper processing of contracts, tracks and monitors vendor performance to ensure expectations are being met.
- Delegates individual projects to team members and monitors overall status to ensure project successfully completed.
- Ensures appropriate maintenance schedules are being developed and followed for equipment upgrades.
- Authorizes personnel actions, training, promotions and transfers; conducts and/or reviews personnel disciplinary actions and assists with the application of disciplinary measures as appropriate for all assigned staff members and areas of oversight.
- Works closely with County Information Services Department to ensure the technical needs of the 911 Center are not compromised.
- Serves as the on-call manager as needed and will report to the 911 Center as required in the event of a system failure or large-scale emergency requiring additional departmental support.
- Assists in preparation of communications center budget including staffing and capital equipment recommendations.
- Recommends improvements to equipment, policies and procedures, and practices pertaining the operations of the existing communications system.
- In the absence of the Director and at their request, serves as a departmental liaison with York County public safety agencies, and other communications centers, on issues involving the 911 Center.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by the Director.
- Requires a minimum of an Associate's Degree in Business Administration or Technology Management or a similar discipline from an accredited college or university and five years (5) of public safety communications experience including two years of experience in the management, support and operation of complex technology systems that support a 911 communications center.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the complex technology systems utilized in the operations of the Communications Center (9-1-1 Telephones, CAD, Radio Systems, Logging & Recording, etc.) and how they interact to support successful operations.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of complex technology-oriented projects, leading subordinate teams and outside vendors/service providers, and coordinating this with the operational leadership of the Center.
- Dealing with multiple priorities, complex and numerous tasks, and deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the operations of the various public-safety agencies served by the Center.
- Evaluates and maintains systems efficiency and ensures that all systems and all departments work cohesively together.
- Must be able to work various hours/shifts to ensure visibility during 24/7 operations.
- Fluent in the Microsoft Office Suite and able to develop analysis, written communications and documents that are beneficial in the management and operations of the Center.
- Depends on Qualifications
- Website www.yorkcountypa.gov
- Human Resources 717-771-9099