NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) York County PA
JOB DESCRIPTION EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
40 HOURS/WEEK SALARIED
40 HOURS/WEEK SALARIED
- Represent NAMI and provide leadership to the staff, board, and the community.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge pertaining to mental illness, government legislation affecting mental illness, and NAMI National precepts and requirements (all media).
- Develop and maintain relationships, strategic alliances and collaborations with other agencies whose missions pertain, directly and indirectly, to mental illness; serving on various committees, as needed.
- Serve as the leader responsible for overseeing administration, planning, program development and evaluation, community relations, fundraising, finance, and marketing.
- Positively relate and educate others about the mission of NAMI, through presentations, trainings, and educational outreach.
- Relate to, advise, and convey empathy for those who have mental illness and their family members on a day-to-day basis, referring to other appropriate resources, if needed.
- Advocate on the local, state, and federal level on matters relating to mental health.
- Work consistently to erase the stigma attached to mental illness.
- See the NAMI mission as a major priority; foster development of programs and services that inspire acceptance of empathy for individuals who have mental illness for a variety of stakeholders.
- Attend activities that are outside of regular business hours.
- Possess excellent communication skills and be comfortable addressing groups.
- Can handle crisis situations and give extensive one-on-one assistance.
- Author press releases and other public relations duties.
- Plan & carry out public events designed to educate the public and/or to serve persons with mental illness and families.
- Develop and nurture relationships with diverse donors and funding organizations, and local businesses to secure sponsorships for special events, programs, and activities.
- Write grants to maintain or develop programs/activities.
- Manage agency funds to maximize available resources.
- Assist in preparing budget, maintaining financial records, creating reports and disbursing checks, including payroll, with the assistance of the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Establish and sustain liaison with NAMI Keystone PA and NAMI National, including participating in conferences, both as a participant and a presenter, as needed.
- Maintain relationship and compliance with MH-IDD (Mental Health and Intellectual Developmental Disabilities county agency) contract mandates.
- Ensure compliance with the goals and requirements of NAMI National.
- Able to attract and supervise competent staff, volunteers, and interns, including coaching, empowering, and providing feedback.
- Work with the board president and management team to set objectives and foster engagement of the board and its committees.
- Partner effectively with the board and its committees to maximize their efforts, maintain a focus on the mission and vision for NAMI, and to identify and recruit new board members.
- Work with volunteers to carry out activities & trainings, educational outreach, engage with the community, seek financial support.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in management, preferably with the mental health and addiction recovery processes.
- College degree required – preferably in human services or psychology.
- Knowledge of mental illness, understands, and has a commitment to the NAMI mission (local/state/national levels).
- Public relations/branding experience with all levels of management.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office (MS Suite) and social media.
- Starting salary $36,000 - $38,000.
- Will work in a 2-person office with the Program Director.