Construction Operations Manager
Kinsley Construction, Inc.
Summary of the Position:
The Construction Operations Manager reports directly to the Vice President of Property Management and will work on projects and tasks as assigned by the Vice President. The position will be responsible for coordinating day-to-day reviews of project estimates, project schedules, and project management tasks for construction of projects within the property management group of Kinsley Properties. This will include the creating and keeping of a department master project and manpower schedule, reviewing designs and adding input to those designs for cost savings and constructability, producing and reviewing project specific estimates and proposals to be sent to clients and to be used on leases, determining manpower needs, managing construction projects, being a resource for other project managers, and evaluating individual performance for project management and field construction employees. Employee reviews will be conducted by the Construction Operations Manager in conformance with the company defined review objectives. The position is a five day a week job with a normal start time of 7:00 AM and end time of 4:00 PM each day. Some overtime may be required depending on the nature of the project being completed. The position will work primarily out of the 2700 Water Street, York, PA office of Kinsley Properties.
Our team strives for success through shared accountability in everything we do. The below items are responsibilities specific to the role of a Construction Operations Manager which are expected to be executed by the weighted percentages below to give an idea of how time is typically allocated to the position.
- Project Management (50%)
- Estimating (20%)
- Staff, Client, And Vendor Communication: (20%)
Project Management Tasks:
- Develop and execute project management services on department assigned projects to include tasks run directly by the Construction Operations Manager.
- Extensive understanding of the most current version of the state adopted building codes like The International Building Code (IBC) and National Fire
- Protection Association Code (NFPA), with an ability to read those codes and make decisions on how those codes impact project and required municipal inspections.
- Maintain a system for tracking the filing for, and obtaining of, building permits and any other required municipal paperwork to start and complete construction projects within the department. Work with the Property Field Foreman, as needed, to setup and complete all municipal required project inspections.
- Help create and manage the system for subcontracts, purchase orders, change orders, and associated paperwork so they can be placed in the company recognized estimating and project management software.
- Keep track of department project costs and progress to keep budgets and schedules.
- Make sure the department is conducting pre-job kick-off meetings, following safety procedures, holding needed job-related meetings, coordinating MEP information, completing Tenant and Client turnover meetings for completed projects, getting information between the different Kinsley Properties Departments, and closing out projects with all associated paperwork for both clients and the Kinsley Properties archiving system.
- Understanding of the means and methods of construction to apply to the running and completion of construction projects that the Construction Operations Manager / Estimator is running.
- Ability to read, understand, architectural, structural, site, mechanical, plumbing, sprinkler, electrical, fire alarm, and misc. prints to include product cut sheets and submittals and explain them to others including clients for required approvals.
- When appropriate, suggest changes to design build prints to reduce cost on jobs and aid in constructability.
- Create and manage a system for subcontracts, purchase orders and change orders and tracking the associated project cost in the company recognized estimating and project management software and define what other documents need to be attached to the contract document like bidding specifications, bid drawing list, correct contractor scope of work, schedules, etc.
- Ensure the Property Field Foreman have all the equipment, material, and job-related drawings and paperwork they need to complete given jobs.
- Plan out projects as needed with the Property Field Foreman by exploring needs and solutions to issues and giving full direction to the Property Field Foreman before they arrive at the job and assist them during the job.
- Track the overall performance of the Property Field Foreman and other Property Estimator / Project Managers so that additional training can be conducted as needed or discipline can be carried out as needed to keep all parties accountable to assigned tasks.
- Act as a safety officer for Kinsley Properties managed projects being property trained in safety and OSHA compliance Use this knowledge to check for safety compliance on jobs as well as keeping all up to date with as needed safety training.
- Assist with the after hours on call program for Kinsley Properties taking time in the yearly schedule.
- Produce as needed construction project estimates and their corresponding Scopes of Work through the process of takeoff for contractor preformed tasks and through multiple biding of subcontractors for tasks outside of contractor direct performed work.
- Work with the estimating group to keep current cost per square foot for quick take off purposes, along with current product cost sheets and be prepared to complete quick conceptual estimates.
- Educate other department estimators with a current understanding of the 16 divisions of construction, construction standards and methods, applicable building codes, and municipal land development and zoning regulations, applying this knowledge to ensure all items are addressed and covered in estimates.
- Review department designs and estimates to check for completeness and to suggest changes to design build prints to reduce cost on jobs and aid in constructability.
- Work with the legal and leasing departments or individual client to create estimates in a timely manner so that these estimates may be used in the creation of lease rates for lease real estate deals or client contracted and directly paid for construction projects.
- Meet with clients as needed to review estimates and project needs to provide the client with the most complete and cost-effective estimate for their individual project.
- Ensure accepted project estimates are transferred into the company recognized estimating and project management software and are made ready for field use.
Staff, Client, and Vendor Communication:
- Represent Kinsley Properties values of on time customer focused service to all employees, clients and vendors.
- Represent the Kinsley Properties values, mission and vision consistently through behavior and attitude in all interactions with clients, teammates and vendors.
- Ability to read, understand, architectural, structural, site, mechanical, plumbing, sprinkler, electrical, fire alarm, and misc. prints to include product cut sheets and submittals to ensure designs are correct and complete and are being followed by both contractors and employees.
- Staff Communication:
- Create and maintain an environment of open communication with all staff that promotes trust and cooperation.
- Work to create and keep line of communication open between the different departments of Kinsley Properties for both office and field employees.
- Provide individual project information for Kinsley Properties archiving / SharePoint site to ensure the information for employee use is correct and up to date.
- Client Communication:
- Respond to client needs and issues by meeting with client and communicating solutions until final notification is given of issue resolution.
- Conduct routine meetings with clients throughout the construction process to make sure their needs are being met and document those interactions through saved email or meeting minutes.
- Direct all client maintenance requests through the Property Maintenance Department by communicating them to the Kinsley Properties Office Manager for scheduling and dispatch of maintenance technicians.
- Vender Communication:
- Keep all contracts and agreements up to date, communicated to venders, and then enforce those terms and conditions.
- Work with sister companies in the Kinsley Enterprise system to ensure all Kinsley Properties needs are being met and that Kinsley Properties is communicating effectively with these groups.
- Help create and maintain a robust list of venders for Kinsley Properties so that credible multiple bids may be achieved on all Kinsley Properties projects.
- Work with key vendors as needed to discuss contract services, contract terms, and the general overall health of the service relationship with Kinsley Properties as needed.
- Coordinate with the Kinsley Properties accounting group to ensure proper entities are being billed for each Kinsley Properties job and that appropriate accounts for billing are setup with suppliers.
We look for These Competencies in A Construction Operations Manager
- Conflict Management -– Comfortable managing conflicts, sees challenges as opportunities; people person; focused listener; can navigate challenging agreements and settles disputes equitably; can find common ground and secure full cooperation to achieve shared success for both the Tenant and Kinsley Properties.
- Customer Service Focus – Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; obtains first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with a customer-first mindset; establishes and maintains strong effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect through consistently responsible and responsive behavior.
- Timely Decision Making – Makes decisions in a timely manner, appreciates the importance of fast decision-making, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure to achieve the best outcomes for both Kinsley Properties and the Tenant.
- Ethics and Values – Consistently adheres to organizational core values even when challenged.
- Functional/Technical Skills –High level of functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform the job in a superior manner.
- Negotiating – Capable of skillful negotiation in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with a shared success mindset; proven ability to resolve situations with a positive customer relationship outcome; can be both direct, assertive and diplomatic in negotiations; gains trust quickly of other parties; and has a proactive solid sense of the importance of speed and responsiveness.
- Organizational Agility – Knowledgeable of organizational operations; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; appreciates the importance of key policies, practices, and procedures to ensure running the business effectively and efficiently; understands and values the importance of team culture; leads by example and treats all with respect; and holds yourself accountable to all members of the Kinsley Properties team.
- Planning – Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into manageable steps; develops schedules and task/assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; and evaluates results.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all opportunities for appropriate answers; proactive problem-solving; actively pursues the best solution, even when not easily identified.
- Driven for Results – Can be counted upon to exceed goals successfully; proven ability as a consistent top performer; understands importance of profitability on a job; committed to the absolute best outcomes.
- Reliable/Dependable – Committed to follow-through and doing what was promised.
- Trust/Honesty – Committed to doing the right thing, always.
- Flexible – Agile and helpful attitude; committed to being flexible under various circumstances to achieve the best outcomes.
- Relationship Focused – Create customer and teammate loyalty through actions; focused on long-lasting relationship, trust and personal understanding.
- Intentionality – Have a clear understanding of objectives with an ability to clearly convey the purpose of deliverables and actions.
We Look for These Technical Skills in A Construction Operations Manager
- Advanced comprehension of construction drawings, specifications and building codes.
- Advanced comprehension of construction systems and materials.
- Advance comprehension of project scheduling.
- Customer service experience.
- Utilize computer programs in the Microsoft Office Suite of computer programs.
We Look for This Level of Experience in A Construction Operations Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Construction management experience of at least five (5) years in the industry.
- Hands-on field experience in the commercial construction industry preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your Cover Letter and CV/Resume to email@example.com.