Tax Claim Manager
County of York
Under general direction, the Tax Claim manager will direct the overall administration and operation of the Tax Claim Bureau. This position will be responsible for fulfilling the legal obligations of the department while taking delinquent tax parcels through the delinquent tax collection process. This position reports to the Director of Assessment and Tax Claim.
- Manages Clerks within the Tax Claim Bureau.
- Responsible for hiring, training, disciplining and firing of Tax Claim staff according to County code.
- Continuously assess internal systems and recommend changes that would allow for greater efficiency in daily and monthly processing.
- Reviews and interprets documents such as PA legislation, Purdon's PA Statutes and bankruptcy laws and accurately articulates the laws and rules to the general public and legal firms when servicing their needs.
- Prepares timely posting notices for the Legal Journal and local newspapers.
- Ensures the proper deeding process is completed after tax sales.
- Coordinate the Upset and Judicial Sales of real estate properties as statutorily mandated – including advertising, notice of sale, postings, payments, refunds, deed preparation, appeals, file compilation, scanning and settling of accounts.
- Maintain records of sold properties for future appeals and reference.
- Meet all Tax Sale laws and requirements.
- Responsible for daily balancing of delinquent tax collections.
- Work with Tax Claim Solicitor in resolving appeal of sale proceedings.
- Attend court on behalf of the Tax Claim Bureau, giving evidence to our procedures and process.
- Attend supervisory staff meetings.
- Possess and maintain a working knowledge of the Real Estate Tax Sales Law, the Municipal Claims Act, the Assessment Law and other state statutes to ensure legal compliance.
- Communicate with Tax Collectors, Taxing Authorities and Treasurer's office.
- Attend conferences to maintain good working relations and Public Relations with the County and the Tax Collectors, ensuring efficient and productive communication between departments.
- Ensures monthly remittance of taxes collected to the 72 municipal taxing authorities, 16 school district taxing authorities and the City of York.
- Works with and directs vendors in the posting process.
- Liaise with software vendors to implement changes to business processes as the law changes.
- Multi-task the handling of inquiries for the department by answering telephone calls, assisting taxpayers, attorneys, mortgage companies and county representatives present in the office.
- Run all reports for Tax Claim – daily, monthly, annual financial reports, plus sales and data file reports.
- Monitor the distribution of funds from sales, ensuring the legal order of disbursement is followed.
- Analyzes account activity and balances and acts accordingly.
- Completes all routine accounting assignments.
- Ensures that comprehensive accounting records are maintained in an organized manner and accessible to all.
- Collect Clean and Green Rollback liens.
- Provide tax lien certifications.
- Responsible for all daily Tax Claim tasks.
- Must have knowledge of all functions for all of the departments.
- Assist staff with duties that need to be performed due to position vacancies.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Associates Degree required and two (2) years experience with real estate OR equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Requires knowledge of Tax Claim Bureau and Property Assessment
- Must have proficient computer knowledge to include Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess highly effective communication and interpersonal skills while using tact and discretion.
- Must possess ability to function independently, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with clients, co-workers, agencies and others.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to plan and coordinate.
- Accurately process information and financials on tax claim parcels for York County.
- Assists with the supervision and training of employees for the Tax Claim Bureau.
- Efficient at multi-tasking through balancing and handling of inquiries for the department.