Staff Accountant | Full Time
The Investment Real Estate Group of Companies (IREGC) is composed of real estate centric entities focused on the self storage industry. The various companies provide brokerage services, feasibility studies, property management, development and construction services, general self storage consulting and insurance products. In addition, we own a portfolio of self storage properties. Our market area includes the eight States in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. Learn more at https://irellc.com.
IREGC currently employs 44 people overall with 15 of those in the home office. We have converted an old stone grist mill built in 1831 and the adjoining miller’s house into our offices. The setting is rural and safe. We strive to maintain a friendly, family-like work atmosphere. At times the work can be hectic and other times very mellow; adaptability is key. IREGC employees are team oriented where all colleagues wear many hats and help each other succeed. While business is the priority, colleagues are encouraged to live healthy, balanced lives. Our company is guided by the core values of doing the right thing; being enthusiastic, engaged and competitive; working hard, working smart; having fun; and being compassionate and authentic. We are rapidly growing, and this is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate.
We are seeking a Staff Accountant who will:
- Be scrupulously organized and detail oriented, yet have an understanding of the big picture.
- Work independently.
- Present a positive professional impression to the firm’s customers, employees and stakeholders.
- Be pro-active in supporting operations and administration.
- Be open and embracing as new ideas and projects come up.
- Be a lateral thinker and problem solver; not a person who necessarily does things because “that’s the way they’ve always been done.”
- Possess a positive “can do” attitude, knowing any issue that arises can be overcome, solved, eradicated, left behind, gotten around, defeated and just plain taken care of!
Specific duties and functions of the position include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Prepare and process weekly payments including checks, transfers, wires and ACH payments.
- Assist in accurately coding invoices for entering into the accounting system.
- Assist with input and maintenance of invoices, as well as be responsible for payment approval process.
- Review employee expense reports, including receipts and coding, and entering into accounting system.
- Prepare and file 1099 Forms.
- Complete month end accounts payable closing.
- Work to improve processes in the assigned accounting functions.
- Calculate monthly management fees charged to properties.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for all properties.
- Assist in preparation of monthly cash flow analysis.
- Record deposits and reconcile receipts to property management software.
- Assist in the month end closing process.
- Participate in annual budget preparation.
- Provide audit support as requested.
- Complete regular general ledger account analysis.
- Prepare and record general journal entries.
- Prepare account reconciliations and investigate variances within deadlines.
- Communicate both verbally and in writing with other team members and property-level associates.
- Maintain and update procedures and documentation.
- Calculate allocations of expenses among properties and corporate entities, including maintenance, marketing, management fees and credit card expenses. Create associated billings in the various entities.
- Reconcile bank statements for corporate companies and properties as needed.
- Cross train and back up essential operating duties of team members as needed.
- Perform other duties that are needed to support the team.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Add energy to every conversation.
- Always be positive and have fun at work.
- Offer help to the team before being asked.
- Highlight good work from your team members.
- Leave things more organized than you found them.
- Get smarter at your job through training and/or books.
- Figure out what didn’t work and make sure it is right the next time.
- Surface and highlight difficult decisions.
- Encourage curiosity.
- Ask why.
Experience and Requirements:
- Excellent computer skills (especially Excel).
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Willing to work extended hours to meet deadlines as needed.
- Minimum of two years of accounting experience is required.
- Must be able to adjust and adapt to changes in the current processes to meet changing needs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with QuickBooks and Sage 100 preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess the ability to work on multiple entities at one time and change gears quickly.
- Real estate experience is a plus, but not required.
- Please fill out the following online questionnaire: https://forms.gle/bv5BZMPXLJ5Pjzzb6
- Email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will contact you for further details and to schedule a phone or skype interview.
- We will then meet with the final applicants in person.
We look forward to hearing from you,
The IREGC Team