Second Deputy- Tax Accountant Manager
Second Deputy Duties
- Responsible for staff training related to iasWorld, Munis Financial Software, Tyler Cashiering Software, Excel, Word, Access and Outlook and problem solving.
- Responsible for supervising the daily front counter activities of the office and performs assignments requested by County Treasurer.
- Responsible for banking transactions, including: processing Countywide ACH and wire transfers, and verification of incoming wires and direct deposits.
- Responsible for opening and closing processing procedures.
- Responsible for completing and submitting agenda items for the County Commissioners Meetings.
- Manages the activity of remittances by using Excel and Access.
- Administers the Real Estate Tax Accounting and Hotel Tax Accounting programs.
- Responsible for the management and collection of returned banking transactions.
- Supervises the preparation of tax certifications.
- Responsible for the verification of tax remit reports and daily and monthly tax collector activity reports.
- Responsible for the distribution of funds to municipalities where Treasurer serves as the appointed tax collector.
- Responsible for payroll processing for tax collectors for county, municipal and school real estate tax collection as well as expense reimbursement requests.
- Prepares Daily Sales Report, accounting for licenses sold and monies collected.
- Responsible for cross-training staff to perform customer service duties including: sale of licenses for bingo, small games of chance, fishing, hunting, fur taker, sportsman's firearm permits and dog license sales.
- Responsible to answer all types of questions over the phone and direct calls to the proper department.
Real Estate Tax Collection
- Supervises the Tax Accountant and Tax Accountant 2 positions.
- Processes tax payments, both over-the-counter and through the mail.
- Manages additions and exonerations as authorized by the York County Assessment Office.
- Manages adjustments and refund requests and prepares negative remits when required.
- Manages the entry of tax information and data, in electronic or manual entry, into the county computer (iasWorld, Munis, Tyler Cashiering, and Access) systems.
- Manages the distribution of system generated monthly Real Estate Tax Collection Statements to tax collectors.
- Prepares statistical reports and accounts for all tax monies collected.
- Manages the monthly review of Tax Collectors DCED Reports in accordance with PA state law and County ordinances.
- Manages the annual reconciliations with each municipal tax collector.
- Tracks and manages prior year balances and facilitates collection of past due balances from municipal tax collectors.
- Manages site visits to assist tax collectors with their reporting and problem solving.
- Conducts tax sittings as requested by local taxing authorities.
- Attends meetings of the York County Tax Collectors Association.
- Responsible for conducting tax collector training sessions.
- Communicates via phone, fax, email and in person with the County's 72 Municipal Tax Collectors, York County Assessment Office, York County
Information Services, York County Controller, York County Payroll Department and York County Commissioners' Office.
- Manages the maintenance of tax records for county conducted audits in compliance with state and county record retention schedules.
Hotel Excise Tax Collection
- Manages all components of the Hotel Excise Tax Program in accordance with York County Ordinances.
- Manages the preparation and analyses of statistical reports for all taxes collected.
- Manages the processing of monthly and quarterly tax reports and payments.
- Manages the reconciliation of funds collected along with applicable expenses for monthly remittance to the York County Convention & Visitor's Bureau.
- Manages the distribution of financial reports as required.
- Correspondence with hotel owners and employees, Visitor's Bureau and the County Solicitor.
- Works with hotel contacts and County Solicitor to resolve delinquent and unreported taxes.
- Manages the maintenance tax records for county conducted audits in compliance with state and county retention schedules.
Receipts Desk Duties (Second Deputy/Tax Account Manager serves as a back up to other positions assigned to receipt desk duties)
- Receives and processes countywide cash, check or credit card payments, verifies accuracy, assures valid authorization is received for credit card payments and issues receipts.
- Familiar with County departments and agencies and their respective account numbers.
- Responsible for the maintenance of receipt records for county conducted audits in compliance with state and county record retention schedules.
- Responsible for daily interfacing of receipt records to the Controller's Office.
- Responsible for daily deposit delivery to safe for pick up by security courier.
- Prepares correspondence for the County Treasurer's signature.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Embrace Treasurer's Mission Statement: "My staff and I are committed to serving you (internal and external customers) in a customer friendly and professional manner at all times."
- Second Deputy/Tax Account Manager must have a thorough understanding of the York County Real Estate Tax Ordinance and the York County Hotel Excise Tax Ordinance and all applicable PA state laws.
- Requires thorough familiarization of the customer service areas including: sale of licenses for dog, bingo, small games of chance, fishing, hunting, furtaker, sportsman's firearm permits, invoicing, cash receipting, and collection of hotel excise tax and real estate tax.
- Requires the ability to think independently in solving work-related problems, ability to work effectively and efficiently under stressful conditions; ability to plan and supervise work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with tax collectors, hotels, staff and general public.
- Requires knowledge in office administration with sound decision making abilities in the areas of customer relations: problem analysis and resolution; accounting; computer systems; staff management and motivation; employee development and training.
- Must have valid PA driver license and reliable street vehicle available for field visits.
- Must have knowledge of York County's townships, boroughs and major highways and road system.
- Must have ability to read a map and navigate from directions.
- Ability to operate a personal computer (laptop) and utilize software including: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, iasWorld (tax software), Munis (financial software), Tyler Cashiering (receipting), PALS (PA hunting and fishing licenses), Online Dog Licensing, Laserfiche, and BOSS (Fulton on-line banking).
- Ability to use the following office equipment: PC, laser printer, calculator, photocopier, telephone, scanner, fax and electronic and paper filing systems.
- Office responsibilities include knowledge and staff training functions related to proficient use of computer based applications including but not limited to, iasWorld, Online Dog Licensing, BOSS, Munis, Tyler Cashiering, Excel, Word, Access, Outlook, PALS and Laserfiche; staff supervision in the absence of the Chief Deputy and daily problem solving.
- The Second Deputy/Tax Account Manager must have a B.S. in accounting and four years of experience in an accounting position; or the equivalent experience and training.
- $45,717.68 Annually